Saturday, January 15, 2011

Lesson 1--God made light

I have started a new thing with Isaiah for 2011. We are going through an "Awanas" program for 2 yr olds. (http://www.awana.com/) I know many churches that have this program for all ages and have seen first hand some of Isaiah's cousins grow tremendously from it. And in my opinion, it is never too early to learn about Christ so I wanted to start teaching Isaiah some of the basic concepts and things about God. We started this week. We have one lesson each week and the lessons aren't long being that a 2 yr old's attention span is incredibly short. There is a big picture card with the lesson's concept, a scripture, then a craft to go along with it. Isaiah and I did the lesson on Monday and then I have spent the other days this week just asking him questions and reinforcing what we learned. He was so cute sitting at the kitchen table reading with me and coloring and talking with me about God. He loved having "school time" with me.
The first lesson is "God made light". We read Genesis 1:3 and went around the house talking about dark and light and then got his flashlight and went to our dark closet and turned the flashlight on and off. Each time he turned the light on, I would ask him who made the light and he would point really high and say "God"! Later that day we went outside when the sun was so bright and talked about the light from the sun and he knew that God made the sun. He then proceeded to inform me that God made the moon too. I was impressed! After all that, we sat down and colored a picture of the sun and talked again about who created the sun and the light.
I just love doing this with him and I look forward to many more special times with just him, teaching him about the Word and planting the seeds in his life to help him grow in his relationship with the Lord.

No comments: